Friday, July 6, 2012

Quilt #2 - My Grandma's Quilt!

Ok, so shortly after I finished my grandpa's quilt, I had to start my grandma's! My grandma put in an order for a quilt in reds and green's, but not Christmas colors. So, the hunt for the perfect fabrics was on! I ended up mixing up a couple of delicious looking Moda charm packs and Jelly Rolls! Then the big question became, what kind of design??? I needed something easier (remember, only been sewing for a month!) but beautiful for my grandma. I really wanted this to be a quilt she would be proud of! Since I still wasn't great at finding quilt patterns that looked easy enough for me, I decided to make my own pattern. (Later, I realized that this pattern was nothing new... if I knew how to search, I could have saved myself a LOT of time! lol). I will admit, that I ended up making a BIG mistake - I figured that 2 1/2" jelly roll and 5" charm packs, perfect right? Uh, no, I ended up having to trim all my 5" squares! TONS of extra work, but worth it in the end!
 Here started the long process of the "random but organized" sorting and layout! In order to give it a bit of continuity, I used the jelly roll to create a a series of patterns.



 My Singapura Lil' Bit had to preside over the layout and give her approval...



Here I started stitching them into rows, then combined rows together until my quilt was completed.







 I used notes pinned to the rows in order to make sure that every row was properly stitched together this time!

 After I quilted the top, I used the leftover jelly roll pieces to make a matching pillow!


 I quilted inside the squares by 1/4" to make a nice design.


I attached the back.

 I used a pretty rose floral leftover from the quilt back of my grandma's quilt.

 Pillow is done! Now, back to finishing the quilt!

 I made a biased binding and attached it to the quilt ot finish it off. I used a long patchwork design to make it interesting. I quilted the top in a cross square design and hand quilted the border.
 On two sides, I used a running heart border...
And this design on the opposite two sides! (The blue is the fabric washable marker)


 All done!







I am quite happy to announce that my grandma loved the quilt and pillow!

No comments:

Post a Comment